ALL staff, student, programme and department accounts are created, provisioned and maintained by the BUAM (BU Access Management System) at the university.
With the implementation of Single-Sign-on (SSO), university members can now access to the extensive U-wide IT Services through a single login process with a single user id (SSOid) and password.
Account Creation by BUAM
The BUAM manages all SSOids in the university. It creates new SSOids whenever there’s student intake or new staff joining the university. The system will also remove obsolete accounts when people leave. The process is synchronized with the data coming from different sources in order to maintain integrity, namely:
i) Student data from Academic Registry
ii) Student data from School of Continuing Education
iii) Staff data from Personnel Office
New comers must activate their own SSOids, define their personal passwords/security passkeys and related security questions before they can use the accounts.
The SSOid for student is pre-defined to be the student number, while our staff members can choose their preferred SSOid/login name.
All staff, student, programme and department accounts have been automatically created, provisioned and maintained according to standard handling rules. However, there are still some other types of IT service accounts which require special manual handling. Below describes some principles and guidelines for handling these non-standard provisioning accounts. Type of accounts include:
|A.||Project-based including Task Force, e.g. workgroup/specific-purposed task force, and University Event (@project.hkbu.edu.hk with Gmail domain)|
|B.||Individual department can also apply for a departmental account subject to approval. (@hkbu.edu.hk with HKBU domain)|
Only personal accounts will have the campus Wi-Fi access.
Principles for Accounts Provisioning
Although there is flexibility of providing additional named account, the following guidelines should be strictly imposed to avoid abusing of the system:
- All accounts should be provided on a need basis;
- Adequate justification is required upon request;
- Usage and IT services required should be specified clearly;
- Multiple accounts should not be created for a particular identity for different operating functions, e.g. different email accounts for different kinds of email topics;
- The applications should be authorized by the Dean of Faculty/School, Director of Centre/Programme or Head of Department/Office;
- No print quota will be associated with the account;
All non-personal accounts (except type A) are under the custodian of the Faculty/School/Department/Office which should be responsible for the information kept in the corresponding accounts while designated staff should be delegated for the account operation.
Account Validity Period
All accounts must have a validity period to avoid the abuse of system resources (except type B). In normal circumstances, the account expiry date should not be set more than 3 years to maintain a close review of all assigned account services.
Guideline for Users
The request for special or project account is limited to the University staff only. The applicant shall:
- Read and agree the information of this page and its related links.
- Fill in the e-Form and seek for the approval from department head.
- Submit the form to ITO Service Call Centre.
- The application will be processed, verified and confirmed by ITO staff within 5 working days.
- The applicant can check the request status online after confirmation.
- What is SSOid?
- I am new to HKBU, how do I register / activate my SSOid?
- I forgot my SSOid password, how do I reset my password?
- How do I change my SSOid password?
- How do I change my Security Questions?
- What are the IT Service Entitlements and Validity of HKBU?
- What are the criteria for applying Departmental or Project account?