Email accounts for all staff, students and departments have already been automatically created. There are occasions where departments / staff may require additional accounts to facilitate their educational collaboration or legitimate business with the University. For such, special email accounts may be requested by departments/offices for the following purposes:
- Research centre / institution
- University event / activity / conference / consultation session / forum
- Academic project
- Staff recruited and stationed in PRC / HKBU affiliates
- New academic programme / concentration
- Special committee / functional body
Guideline for Email Account Creation:
- All accounts should be provided on a need basis;
- Allow sufficient lead time for account processing;
- Proper justification is expected;
- Multiple accounts should not be requested for a particular identity for different operating functions, e.g. different email accounts for different kinds of email topics;
- An application should be authorized by the Dean of Faculty/School, Director of Centre/Programme or Head of Department/Office;
- All accounts created upon request will have a validity period of no more than 3 years for which subsequent extension may be requested if needed.
Users should refrain from sending bulk emails. Where possible, users should first consider disseminating information to the University community through the e-Announcement channel. Users may use their application system (e.g. SIS) to send out bulk emails at their discretion, if such function is available.
Previously, approval must be obtained from P/VC, Provost, VPs or Associate VPs for mass email delivery by ITO to all staff and/or all students. Per SECO’s approval as announced by AVP(E), with effect from 3 July 2017, all Deans, Director of AVA and Heads of Administrative Offices are now authorised to endorse such requests according to the mass mail submission and approval requirements below: