What do I do if I cannot answer the security question?

Answering security question is a way to verify your identity.  If you want to change your security question or have problem remembering the answer, you may sign in to BUniPort and select Profile > Personalization Centre > Security to change it.  However, if you are unable to answer the security question particularly during SSOid password reset, then you will have to submit an ‘Application for Resetting SSOid Password’.  For details, please contact Service Call Centre at 3411-7899 or email to hotline@hkbu.edu.hk.